Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Аvocado Soup Project - Part I

This is the first of a series of experiments for making avocado soup. I used the Flavor Bible extensively to decide how to balance spices and ingredients and I have an idea about a few options for soup. Here is soup number one, I hope some of you have a chance to make it and let me know how we can enhance it even further.

For 6 small bowls, you need:

3 medium avocados, peeled, chopped
3 small tomatoes, chopped
4-5 sun dried tomatoes
1 tbsp sea salt
4-5 large basil leaves
1 large spring onion
1 cup plain yogurt
1 1/2 cups water

Mix everything in a blender and voila! You will really enjoy some pine nuts and toasted cumin on top, I promise. It was lunch time when I made it, so I added a serving of my famous Mock Bread and had a wonderful meal.

I suggest you use very small bowls to serve this soup, not more than 6-7 oz (180-200 ml). It would be great with Mexican or Greek food, and a wonderful addition to spicy toast or Mock Bread.

I hope my next few projects work out fine, keep your fingers crossed for the avocado/grapefruit experiment!

3 comments:

  1. Interesting, I experimented the other day making avocado soup too! I made my soup with similar ingredients but made it a hot rather than a chilled version, I used cottage cheese instead of the yogurt, I added a tea spoon of vegetable boulion and some sliced mushrooms as well. Yummy!

    Pavlina

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like the bouillon idea. I like how you switched things around and made it warm. Did you use cumin as a spice?
    cheers:
    Galya

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't use cumin but I thought about it. I used smoked paprika, dried oregano, dried rosemary, and some chilli sharena sol, along with sea salt and cracked black pepper. It turned out beautifully! Mind you, I just remembered, I put some yellow corn flour to thicken the soup a bit more... big mistake! Next time I will put some wheatgerm instead, as I normally do.

    Regards,

    Pavlina

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...