Thursday, October 29, 2009

Nutty Swiss Chard

Swiss chard is beautiful. It is unknown here in Bulgaria and the plants on the left were grown by my grandpa after P. Allen Smith gave me a bunch of seeds last year. Here is a wonderful place to give thanks to my dear friend JP for introducing me to P.A. Smith and his amazing gardens.

Chard is tough to eat raw and my family is still looking at it with suspicion. They are starting to warm up to it and recently they have been making some pretty tasty soups and stews.

Unless you cook it properly, chard tastes too earthy, and most people give up the wonderful texture because they can't find a recipe that satisfies their taste buds.

Here is a recipe for a side you will truly enjoy, it's simple to make and chard will never disappoint you anymore.

Ingredients:
1 lb Swiss chard leaves
1 large onion
3 cloves garlic
1 tbsp butter
1 tbsp olive oil
handful raisins
handful chopped walnuts

In a pot, warm the butter over medium heat, add the chopped onions and garlic and cook until browned. Add the finely cut chard in the pot and add 1/4 cup of water. Stir in the raisins and nuts and cook for another 5 minutes, covered. Take off the heat and add the olive oil.

I enjoyed it with some fresh goat cheese and roast beef. Let me know how you liked it.

4 comments:

  1. I love me some greens! I'll try it...

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am looking to try swiss chard again. I'll give it a shot too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love how you can use your recipes as a base. I've made it many times exactly as shown in your blog. Today, I added some orange cherry tomatoes, and cut up a left over cheese burger. Between the juice from the tomatoes, a little water that was added and probably some water from rinsing the Swiss chard..I even had a lovely tasting liquid. : )

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...