Friday, June 5, 2009

Mediterranean Meatloaf


Mary asked me about substituting bread crumbs in meatloaf with something else, like bran and reminded me that I haven't shared my favorite meatloaf recipe.

Some people like a mixture of pork and beef, or even turkey, but for this recipe I use 100% beef, ground from the meat of the round or the plate. I like to buy a whole piece of meat and have the butcher grind it for me. It's always fresh and you make sure there are no additives and preservatives.

To make enough meatloaf for the whole family or for a few days of great office lunches, you need:

2 lbs ground beef, lean
1 cup reconstituted sundried tomatoes
1 tbsp olive oil
1 cup ground up dry mushrooms
2 tbsp oregano
1 teaspoon black pepper
1 teaspoon sea salt
2 eggs
for the filling you can use black or green olives, baby carrots, dill pickles, peas, green beans, hard boiled eggs, etc.
3 tbsp tomato paste for glazing

While your oven is heating up to 420F, mix the beef, chopped tomatoes, mushrooms, olive oil, eggs and spices. Mix well and let it sit for 10 minutes in the fridge.

Grab a large piece of foil and make a rectangle of the meat, like a giant hamburger patty. Place olives and other veggies evenly on top and roll the meatloaf grabbing the aluminum foil from the bottom and using it to support the meat. Once rolled, move the meatloaf to a meatloaf pan, make three holes along the length (with a knife or just using your finger to poke the holes).

Bake for 45 minutes and glaze with the tomato paste, baking an additional 15 minutes.

Enjoy with steamed veggies or cold on its own, it's absolutely delicious.

1 comment:

  1. Love it!! I did make it once before. Barely made any changes as you can see from my blog. but I did use 2/3 cups of oatbran, as I was low on mushrooms and wanted to give that a try.

    Added it to my blog!!! I'm thinking of adding some bacon and some cubed cheddar cheese into the mix the next time.

    http://maryskitchenadventures.blogspot.com/2010/06/mediterranean-meatloaf.html

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...