Thursday, February 24, 2011

Sweet and salty strawberry dessert

1

This dessert is a favorite three ingredient celebration. I have a long lasting relationship with coconut in all its forms: coconut water, the fresh nut, milk, cream, flakes, flour, powder, and butter. I use it both to eat raw and cook with and I swear it is the single most amazing and luckily healthy ingredient that I would not give up if you had me choose just a few to keep in my pantry. Yogurt is something every Bulgarian child grows up with. In its plain form it can be eaten on its own, mixed with fruit, veggies or nuts and it goes well as dressing on most vegetarian dishes. You could even cook meat in a yogurt sauce and it comes out tender and juicy. There isn't much I can tell you about strawberries that you don't feel yourself: they are the single most aromatic and colorful fruit you could choose for any dessert. I even cooked some with spices this week and they were heavenly.

To make this 2 minute dessert, I used all the above:

Serves 2:
2 cups plain yogurt
1/2 cup coconut cream
10 small or 5-6 large strawberries
2 inches vanilla bean
vanilla salt for sprinkling

Mix the vanilla bean with yogurt and coconut cream and separate in two bowls. Add the cut strawberries and decorate with vanilla salt. If you don't have vanilla salt, you can make your own by mixing 1:1 sea salt and vanilla bean. The color is intensely brown and buttery. We bought ours from Didi Davis, but you can easily make your own and keep in a small jar for decoration. Vanilla salt goes great on chocolate, cookies, ice cream and cheesecake.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...