Friday, February 11, 2011

Savory wild rice breakfast

A year ago, Roland and I won a photo contest for the California Wild Rice Board. I don't know if you remember, but back then, we wrote extensively about how wild rice isn't really rice, but it's more like a seed. It's gathered by hand, hence it's a bit pricey, but the nutty texture and filling nature are totally worth it. We like it both sweet (as in the wild rice with pear and hazelnut milk recipe in the Art of Real Food, vol 2) and salty. This morning going wild rice made a basic and very satisfying breakfast.

It's a rule of thumb that when you cook with a few ingredients you need to make sure you get the highest quality possible. This way you can enjoy a mixture of simple tastes that really helps you celebrate food. This raw milk cheddar cheese I used and the avocado both tasted excellent on their own.

P1240995

For this recipe (serves 1) you need:
1/4 cup wild rice
1/2 small avocado
1.5 oz mild cheddar cheese
pinch Himalayan salt

Wash the wild rice thoroughly and cover with 2 cups of water. Bring to boil and then lower the heat and cover. Boil for 45 to 60 minutes or until you see the seeds break a little. Drain and mix with the cubed cheese and avocado. Sprinkle with Himalayan salt and enjoy!

I bet you can add sun dried tomatoes or peppers to this and make it more like a lunch salad or even toss in some chicken for a complete lunch meal.

3 comments:

  1. Wow! Right this evening we were talking about breakfasts with my friends and the Taiwanese girl shared how often they eat rice at breakfast. I'd never had thought of rice as a breakfast thing and then I heard of that twice in the same day!!!! :) Looks very tasty :). Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh dear! "I'd never had thought" is to be read "I had never thought"!.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think darker more nutty rice makes a wonderful breakfast grain if you were into grains. I prefer it to quinoa or amaranth or oats just because it's more filling. Glad you like.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...