Thursday, February 4, 2010

No bake protein bars

I have been back in Bulgaria for two days now and it's time to start spending more time in the gym and in my car between house visits. This means I have two options for food: to fast (not eat) or to prepare something to take with. Protein bars are a wonderful option, and the home made variety are a way better choice than the store bought.

Making a homemade bar gives you some serious advantages:

* You get to use very high quality protein powder
* You get no nasty preservatives aftertaste
* You use fresh quality ingredients
* You get to have fun

In Bulgaria, this also saves you money, since most store bough protein bars are 3 and 4 times more expensive than in the US.

Today I made these awesome Pumpkin Coconut Bars, and it took me exactly 5 minutes.

Here is what you need for 2 regular size bars:

2/3 cup pumpkin, cooked, drained (or from a can)
1/2 cup oat bran
2 tbsp cranberries/raisins/other dried fruit
1/3 cup coconut flakes (unsweetened)
2 tbsp peanut butter 2 (powder peanut butter) or 1 tbsp natural peanut butter
1 scoop protein powder
dash cinnamon
dash cloves
dash nutmeg
pinch sea salt

Mix all the ingredients and use foil to flatten and fold in bar shapes. Use coconut flakes to coat the bars.
Wrap in paper to take to work and enjoy them as a meal with some nuts on the side, or just as a snack with some coffee or tea!

4 comments:

  1. I KNEW I loved you! I swear I'm gonna start working out again...just can't find the motivation.

    Glad you made it back safely, but sad you had to leave!

    Take care, friend!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, dear! Very sad I had to leave.

    It's ok for working out NOT to be the most important thing, life is very flexible in its priorities. I hope you get to it soon :)

    hugs
    Galya

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Galya,

    This recipe looks great and easy to make. Just wondering if it is ok for toddlers (16 month twins) to eat protein powder in recipes? We work on eating healthy and home cooked all the time and no junk food whatsoever. I want to make this as snack food for them and other ones you have on your site. I've been meaning to experiment with recipes with protein powder but, not sure if kids can eat it (not as food supplement but, just as an added ingredient). I have a 100% whey isolate at home. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think it should be fine - as long as your kids tolerate whey. I would give them a small amount once and see how they feel. Some of the parents I work with use pea/brown rice/hemp with their kids instead of whey.Let me know how it goes!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...