Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Too busy to work out? Use the traffic jam...

I don't mean doing exercise in your car, even though some abdominal bracing and Kegels would be a great option for busy moms. What I mean is looking at the time when you travel to and from work and figuring out if it isn't better spent at a gym on the way.

Calculate this:

To be at work at 8 a.m., I leave home at 7:15 a.m. and spend 45 minutes in traffic. If I left at 6:50 when traffic is better, I could be at the gym close to work at 7 a.m. That would leave me with a good 45 minutes I could work out at the gym, before running to work, not to mention I wouldn't have spent the extra time sitting in traffic, shortening my muscles and breathing car fumes.

If I left work at 6 p.m. when everyone else is leaving, I would spend an hour in traffic. Instead I go to the gym and leave there at 7:15 p.m. when traffic is easy and I make it home in 15 minutes. See? Less time in traffic and suddenly I have all the gym time in the world?

More ways to make your gym time shorter? If you work out in the morning, sleep until you need to get up and go, jump in your gym clothes and carry your work clothes with you. Shower at the gym and save from your morning rituals time. If you work out after work, just go home in your gym clothes and take a shower there. Less time in the changing room means more time to work out or spend with your loved ones.

1 comment:

  1. Good tips!

    This is basic, but have your bag packed and ready to go. Keep it in your car, even.

    At home, have everything you need for a workout, ready to go. I make rolls of t-shirt, shorts, socks, workout towel, underwear, towel. If you do a protein shake for the gym, portion those out in little tupperwear containers or in their own shaker bottles. A whole week's worth of gym stuff, ready to grab and toss into the gym bag. If you can find it and grab it easily, that's one less excuse down the tubes.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...