Wednesday, June 1, 2011

My KIND of bar

mykindabar

Fruit and nut bars are one of those quick grab-and-go snacks that are on the edge when it comes to constructing a healthy menu. Even the ones with no artificial sweeteners or thickeners offer very little satisfaction for the amount of calories they provide. If you are carb conscious, maybe you don't want to get a whole lot of carbs from a snack like that. My favorite fruit and nut bar has 20 grams of carbs from honey, glucose and dried fruit. It's not something I want to have often, when I could have actual fruit instead (I like to get my carbs from things I enjoy more than bars).It also doesn't have as much fiber as I would like...and to be honest it's a little bit harder than I would like. I would still have it when I am starving and want to grab a quick bite while grocery shopping, but could I have something better that I made myself? You bet.

Enter MY KIND OF BAR:

To make two bars you need:

1/4 cup sliced almonds
1 tbsp butter
2 tbsp flax meal
1 tbsp honey
5-6 large raspberries


Mash the raspberries into a paste. Melt the butter and honey and mix with the rest of the ingredients. Form a rectangular shape (equal to two bars) and place on a cookie sheet. Cook for 20 minutes in an oven preheated to 375F (180C).

When ready, cut in half lengthwise and let the bars cool off. Enjoy with your afternoon coffee or tea and let me know how they turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...