Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Slow roasted tomato JAM


I know a few of you were wondering what happened with the slow roasted tomato jam experiment. I think things went great!

What it took to make it:

The original recipe from the Improvisational Cook Book
3 and 1/2 lbs of slow roasted Roma and pear tomatoes
3 and 1/2 hours of roasting and 30 minutes of jam making

It also took being open to a whole new universe of sweet, sour and pungent.

How I made the recipe:
I pureed the tomatoes in a blender and got about a cup and 1/4 of paste. Over medium heat in a heavy pan I added: 3 tbsp honey, zest of one small lemon, the chopped up flesh of 2 small lemons (just flesh, no skins), 1/8 tsp curry powder, 1/4 tsp cinnamon, 1/4 tsp fresh grated ginger, 1 tbsp water. I cooked everything for 5 minutes, then put the jam in a jar and waited for it to cool off before I closed the lid. I got one small jar (about 1 cup and a half total). I assume different consistencies of tomatoes will produce different results, but we can only know when more batches come.

The taste of the jam is sweet and savory and I guess it will be great on meats and cheeses, or just on bread. It can be used for sauces (like cream and jam sauce for fish or chicken). As I use it more, I will let you know what the results are.

It's definitely a jam worth making in wintertime, so if you have a few hours this weekend, go for it :)

1 comment:

  1. This jam, over meatloaf, inside meatloaf, mixed with goatcheese, or avocado...is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...