Friday, January 16, 2009

Oatmeal Wars Breakfast

I love oatmeal. But this particular love is a double edged sword. Here is why:

1. I always guesstimate wrong and cook more than the 150 calories that a "serving" is.
2. Steel cut oats seem to weigh more per unit of volume, hence one 150 cal serving is just 1/4 cup.
3. If I need to feel full eating oatmeal I have to eat at least 300 calories of it and then add some butter and some cheese and some eggs...and an 8 hour hike...yeah...

So this morning, looking at the two containers of oatmeal, one steel cut, one regular, it dawned on me that cooking an equal amount of calories of each might come up to a different amount. And indeed, it did. See for yourselves:

The oatmeal on the left is regular old fashioned oats, and the smaller serving on the right is the steel cut oats. It seemed like the regular oatmeal was way more filling, despite the longer chewing that steel cuts require. Thankfully, the two poached eggs and shredded cheese provided for an extra 200 calories, so this could be officially called breakfast and qualify to keep me full for at least 4 hours.

In Mindless Eating, they talk about the perceived quantity of food vs. how satiated we feel. Even though I love the taste of steel cut oats, I must say that rolled oats win the war on fat. For more on Mindless Eating, you can get the book itself on Amazon, or have a quick peek into one of the aspects in this video:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...